Disney’s Queen of Katwe, now playing in theaters across the United States, is based on the true story of a young girl selling corn on the streets of rural Uganda whose world changes when she is introduced to the game of chess, and, thanks to support from her family and community, gains the confidence and determination to pursue her dream of becoming an international chess champion.
Directed by Mira Nair (Monsoon Wedding) from a screenplay by William Wheeler (The Hoax) based on the book by Tim Crothers, Queen of Katwe stars Golden Globe® nominee David Oyelowo (Selma), Oscar® winner and Tony Award® nominee Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave) and newcomer Madina Nalwanga.
Watch a short feature featuring interviews with team behind Queen of Katwe:
The real-life Phiona and Robert were on set during the filming of the movie, providing a source of inspiration and authenticity to the cast and crew.
More on Journey
- Coca-Cola fast-tracks collection and recycling of PET plastic bottles across Africa
- The Schools Recycling Programme
- Project Last Mile forges ahead in 2018
- Making Zero Waste a Reality: How Tanzania is breaking barriers with impactful initiatives
- Bonaqua launches South Africa’s first water bottle made entirely out of recycled plastic