Water is a connector. It’s a life-giver. It improves health, empowers women and strengthens communities.
Water is a critical and valuable resource. Convenient access to safe drinking water not only improves the health of the community, but also provides economic opportunities for entrepreneurs.
Since 2005, Coca-Cola and its foundations have replenished 150 billion liters of water to communities and the environment. Access to water means less time women and girls spend walking to fill jugs. Access to water also brings new employment opportunities through new businesses related to agricultural opportunities or even water kiosks where safe water access is managed for the community. Women who no longer transport water for their families can spend time learning entrepreneurial skills to run businesses... and provide for their families in a different way.
- Geetha, a mother, wife and mango farmer in Chittoor, India. “When I look at my farm, I feel very proud,” she said. “I want to hand over this to my children as a huge farm in the future.”
- Sofia, a mother, student and tree nursery manager in La Primavera, Mexico. “As a female entrepreneur, I feel very happy,” she said. “And I can say with pride that I have my own business.”
- Elizabeth, a mother and water kiosk manager in Naivasha, Kenya. “My business has helped my children a lot: educating, feeding and clothing them,” she said. “I am very proud as a woman.”
These three women share in the film how access to water and business skills have transformed their lives. They now have livelihoods, increased self confidence and dreams for the future.
And it doesn’t stop there. Each woman is contributing to her family and helping mentor other women business owners. She’s creating change within herself and is a part of what we call “the ripple effect,” strengthening her community.
More on Journey
- Project Last Mile Expands to Strengthen Health Systems in Liberia and Swaziland
Coca-ColaAfrica Foundation and the Millennium Challenge Corporation expand collaboration in Africa
Coca-ColaFoundation strengthens Nairobi's water availability and grows East Africa's economic productivity by investing in nature
Unique voluntary model with
Coca-Colaand partners achieves high levels of PET collection
- Coca-Cola celebrates World Water Day